Stuart Noble

david lang wrote:
Thanks for the input chaps. No magic bullet then.......

Plan 'B'.

I'll try cutting a 6mm deep dado in the sides & screwing through from the
outside - hopefully the tight fit of the shelf in the dado will stop the
splitting.

I'll try that tonight & report back!

Dave

I've built mdf shelving with Scewfix Powerdrive carcass screws, straight
into the end grain with no pilot hole. As long as you're dead centre,
and at least 2" inches from the edge, you should get away without
bulges. Boxed in 1000s, so not something you can try out easily. Maybe
B&Q Warehouses would have something similar in smaller packs. I've never
had much luck with "mdf screws".