George E. Cawthon

John B wrote:
stoutman wrote:

I am a 3-year rookie at furniture making and glue ups still freak me out.

Does anyone else out there freak out during glue ups?

Every time I glue up a piece of furniture I turn into a freaken
lunatic and my wife (my glue up assistant) just looks at me like im
insane.

I keep my cool during the other aspects of furniture making and rather
enjoy it, but glue ups....ugg moan.....!!!

Anyone else?

G'day Stoutman,
I understand exactly what you are going through. With pieces slipping,
padding pieces falling out before you get the clamp tight,Wondering why
in the hell we haven't another couple of hands, and why the clamp
manufactures always put stops in the wrong position.
It brings out the best in me also.
regards
John

I think you have to be a saint to not come
"un-glued" when doing a difficult glue up,
especially when you have a big piece and long
clamps and stuff is moving around and it just
isn't square. Anymore, I just keep shifting
clamps even if one has to be pretty crooked to the
clamped edges to get things square. If I can't
possibly move it by hand cause the glue has set up
and it pops and snaps when tightening a clamp to
get it to move into alignment, I am no longer
bothered. The glue joints always solid anyway.
Course I'm not talking hours, I'm still talking
about a frantic 15-20 minutes.

The whole thing may have to be assembled and
clamped at one time to make sure everything is
aligned and square, but not all joints have to
glued at the same time. So look at it and see how
to glue it in two stages if assembly and clamping
is going to take a long time.