RonB

The way I was taught was to do a dry fit and clamp up to identify any
problems first.

Few of us could provide better advice. When you do a dry fit and test you
will have all of your materials and clamps at hand. The procedure is in you
mind.

Your next step, especially with more challenging assemblies, is just to
focus on the task. If you have a phone in the shop, temporarily disable it.
If your wife isn't helping you, let here know you will be occupied with a
glue up. My wife has helped with several and understands completely.

RonB