iolo iolo is offline
Junior Member

Location: Six miles from the nearest town.
Default Dimplex Night-Storage Heater: change thermostat?

Hi,

Would love to know if anybody's "been here, done that" with an old Dimplex Night-Storage Heater, circa 1986.

Mine's dead. (Most unfortunate at the start of autumn.) There's very slight warmth in the external casing in the area directly above where the thermostat is concealed. I've opened the heater by taking off the front panel and had a look at the thermostat. It seems a very simple affair and I suspect it's function is to stop the current running into the heater when one of the narrow metal plates in the thermostat gets so hot it bends away from a neighbouring plate and therefore breaks the current. How soon or late in the Economy 7 power period (1am - 7am?) the circuit is broken depends, I think, on your turning the knob, which, I think, moves the live metal plate away from or closer to the neighbouring plate.

I've tinkered with the plates, bending the metal etc., but it's made no difference.

Is it possible to replace these thermostats?

Is it likely that the fault is elsewhere inside the heater? Does the element in a night-storage heater easily break? (I'm not sure if they are strong bars or delicate thin wires.)

Any help or comments would be most appreciated.

Thanks.

Last edited by iolo : September 19th 05 at 09:06 AM