Allen Parks

Pete Keillor wrote:

On Sun, 18 Sep 2005 12:08:16 -0700, Grant Erwin
wrote:

I've seen blacksmiths make forge stock stands using a trick: the stand's
vertical member is a tube (e.g. 1/2" pipe) and the vertically adjusting member
is a rod (e.g. 1/2" round bar) which slides in the pipe. The top of the pipe is
cut at an angle and there is a washer slipped over the pipe. As you lift the
pipe, the washer rattles down, but when you let go of the pipe the washer is
forced to an angle and binds on the pipe. When you get it where you want it,
then (and only then) does the user tighten the threaded T-handle clamp on the side.

My question is, does anyone know how to design this angled washer setup? How
angled should it be? How much bigger than the vertical rod should the hole in
the washer be?

Grant Erwin -- trying to not reinvent the wheel

Nope, but some things are apparent. The angle on the end of the pipe
must be greater than the angle which causes the washer to hang. It
would seem that the washer would need relatively sharp edges on the
i.d

Not unlike the jack supplied with the VW bug. (or my caulking gun)

I'd think you could make one most easily by trying larger washers to
see which ones bind on the rod at an acceptable angle. You could do
this in the hardware store. Once you have the washer and rod, the
rest should be straightforward.

I just went outside to test this idea. 1/2" rod will hang in a 1/2"
flat washer at about 30 deg. Sharper edges would help. I don't have
any 5/8" washers to try.

Good luck. Post pictures.

Pete Keillor