Allen Parks

William Wixon wrote:

i've always wondered about this too.
why is it not possible to use a wood chipper to chip up trees/branches, put
them in a wire hopper (like the way they used to do corn, a corn crib) and
maybe even possibly have an auger feed mechanism into a furnace. i'm
saying, so you don't have to buy pellets from corporation. it seems it
would facilitate much faster drying, be easier to store, transport, etc.
chipper technology is fully developed, chips would obviate the need for a
expensive pelletizer machine. no splitting, stacking firewood. less dirty,
no bugs, etc.

why don't people do this?!

I think that anything that is remotely combustible could be burnt if you can get
the chamber hot enough. (even 99% of our garbage) They were talking about
recovering something like bio diesel by poring wood chips onto white hot
(liquefied) sand and bleeding off the resulting vapors (presumably starving the
system of oxygen) which condensed as it cooled into a combustible engine fuel.
(looked like heavy brown cutting oil)

b.w.

"stone" wrote in message
ups.com...
Is there any difference between burning
wood logs versus burning wood chips from
a large chipper?

It seems like wood chips would burn up faster
and not make as good of a fire as with big logs.

But is this true?

Someone, some where has probably done research
on this very topic.

Thanks.