T i m

On Sun, 18 Sep 2005 22:32:26 +0100, Andy Hall
wrote:

His kitchen (open plan into the lounge with the back boiler) has just
windows on the only external wall. Any relocation

snip

How about the loft?

Well that's a thought, though being a semi there isn't a flat external
wall to hand (unlike my 'semi terraced) ;-)

This may avoid some of the pain of the water
pipe re-routing in that typically they can be run upwards from the
airing cupboard.

Good point ..

Presumably the cylinder is currently gravity
heated.

Pass, could be ..

It would need to be converted to fully pumped but that's not
too bad.

Not for him especially ;-)

The main issue would be provisioning a gas supply to the
loft.

Again, as you say, could probably brought up from below .. maybe via
the (to be) unused chimney (assuming he also does away with the fire
front that is)? And as he recently went round after the CORGI man
fixing the gas leaks from the unfinished joints ..... ;-(

In any event flues are not too bad. If long lengths are needed,
there are boilers which will happily use 50mm high temperature plastic
waste pipe for runs that can be up to 20m or more.

And I assume could also be vented through the roof tiles via a
suitable tile and terminal?

(Ignoring the emmisions for a while) I think it might take many more
years than he has got left (probably in that house anyway) to recoup
the cost of the relocation work over the extra fuel costs? sigh

Unfortunately the government has only taken a limited range of issues
into account. Decorations are not among them....

So it would seem ;-(

All the best Andy ..

T i m