Andy Hall

On Sun, 18 Sep 2005 21:16:42 GMT, T i m wrote:

On Sun, 18 Sep 2005 22:01:33 +0100, Andy Hall
wrote:

So... if your BIL can go from a 65% to a 90% then it is worth having.
Depending on what is bought, there's not a huge difference in purchase
cost of the boiler - although there is the re-siting issue.

I don't particularly like being manipulated into product choice by the
government, but I don't feel that that aside, this is necessarily that
big a deal so is worth looking at even-handedly.

Depending on what you may have to do to put in a new boiler I suppose
(if that's what you meant?).

Not really. You can see that they don't factor ancillary works into
the equation.

His kitchen (open plan into the lounge with the back boiler) has just
windows on the only external wall. Any relocation will involve fairly
extensive uprooting of (fitted) carpets, floorboards, water / gas
pipes, electric spurs not to mention finding a suitable external wall
and thats probably on the opposite side of the house (to the existing
back boiler) and therefore end up in the very full (builders) garage?

How about the loft? This may avoid some of the pain of the water
pipe re-routing in that typically they can be run upwards from the
airing cupboard. Presumably the cylinder is currently gravity
heated. It would need to be converted to fully pumped but that's not
too bad. The main issue would be provisioning a gas supply to the
loft.

In any event flues are not too bad. If long lengths are needed,
there are boilers which will happily use 50mm high temperature plastic
waste pipe for runs that can be up to 20m or more.

(Ignoring the emmisions for a while) I think it might take many more
years than he has got left (probably in that house anyway) to recoup
the cost of the relocation work over the extra fuel costs? sigh

Unfortunately the government has only taken a limited range of issues
into account. Decorations are not among them....

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl