Andy Hall

On Sun, 18 Sep 2005 17:33:19 GMT, T i m wrote:

H All,

I just popped round my brother in laws (general builder for 35 years)
and he was talking about the back boiler he has had in his house for
the last 25 years needed 'fixing'.

He said he had mentioned this to a Corgi / heating eng and it was
suggested that back boilers aren't 'allowed' any more (ie, little / no
chance of buying a new replacement)?

My BIL questioned that if this was the case and he has to rip his
house up to fit a 'modern' boiler elsewhere, who was going to
compensate him for all these changes (devils advocate question)?

Any thoughts or current rule confirmation please?

Yes, the assessment points system on the ODPM web site covers it.

http://tinyurl.com/c5dea

If a replacement is required, then the points can be applied.

I just did this exercise for my parents who have a back boiler in the
living room in a position in the centre of the house.

Using the tables for their example:

House type and fuel (detached, NG): 590 points

Boiler in new room? (yes, they can't require you to install a
condensing boiler in the main living room) : 350 points

Extended flue 2m (no): 0 points (would have been 200)

Condensate pump or soakaway needed? (yes): 100 points

Total is 1040 points. Above 1000 points it is not required to
install a condensing boiler and so they could choose to replace the
existing one. The fitter fills in the declaration, and that's it.

However, if the criteria aren't met, then a condensing boiler must be
fitted and no your BIL can't be compensated for it other than in lower
fuel bills.

All the best ..

T i m

--