The Natural Philosopher

Default Acrylic or Latex based screed?

Graeme wrote:

Hi

I'm going to level an old chipboard bathroom floor prior to fitting vinyl
tiles. The existing floor is sound but quite uneven. My plan was to use a
self-levelling compound then 6mm ply, followed by the tiles. Question: I'm
pretty sure I need a compound that has some flexibility and one that isn't
water based, but should I therefor get an acrylic one or a latex one? And,
where from? Would 47264 from screwfix do the job?

I've already been advised that the best way to do this would be to remove
the old floor and lay a new one. Not my cup of tea that!

Since you are plying on top I can't see it matters a hoot as long as the
levelling does not break up and crumble to dust.

All you are essentially doing is filling a gap between a smooth level
piece of ply and a naff old chipboard floor.

Tempted to say squirt some expanding foam on the floor and flop the
plywood down on top.

Or mount the plywood using whatever spacers are needed, having
pre-drilled it with holes big enough to get a foam nozzle in, and foam
it after screwing it down.

Sand off any mushrooms that erupt afterwards :-)

Hmm. I have to construct a custom shower tray. I think I have discovered
how to do it now...