Andy

"r.p.mcmurphy" wrote in message
Rob Morley wrote:
In article . com,
says...
Hi Guys
My first post!! After extensive research on the web I am close to
tearing my hair out. I was hoping you could advise me. I live in a
1950's semi with double glazing - wooden floors, cavity wall (not
sure if insulated) and the loft space is not insulated.

There's a good place to start then.

yep, i agree. spend a decent amount on insulating the loft and have the
wall cavities filled too. then start blocking the draughts, but not all
of them, you need some movement. do you have open fires? if you do and
you use them, it is likly that the hot air going up the chimeny is pulling
air from inside the house and will cause more more draughts to be felt.

I would add to this that if you have open fires, then fit them with dampers
so
they can be almost throttled shut when not in use, this'll prevent warm air
going
up the chimney.

Second, if you have suspended wooden floors, think about putting a vent ( or
two )
right in front or on either side of the hearth, so that the fire can
preferentially draw
air from these, as opposed to sucking in warm air from the house.

The air will be able to enter the underfloor cavity from outside via the
airbricks.
Of course, the vents will need mesh ( wire ) on them to stop little beasties
crawling up, and strictly speaking I believe they should not be closeable,
though I personally would make them so to stop cold draughts when the fire
is not in use. Let's face it, it would be an extraordinary house that was so
airtight that a fire couldn't get enough air without special vents being
fitted.

Andy.