Jeff Wisnia

I want to make a water-level out of garden hose for levelling the yard
(approx 200' to 300'). I want to make one with a reservoir so as to
minimize the effect of the level jumping up and down as the hose is
moved and distorted.

Most instructions for a 'reservoir level' have you destroying a bucket
by putting a hole in it. Can anybody see a problem with simply letting
one end of the hose hang into the top of the bucket or a barrel? Of
course, all air must be out of the system, as is the case with any
water level. This would be no different than hauling a portion of the
hose over a fence etc, in which case I believe the water level still
works. Thanks.

Other than being a little clumsy to move around without spilling some
water, I don't see any physics reason why it won't work.

Syphons have worked just fine for thousands of years.

I'm not familiar with "reservoir levels", but I see what your about.

How do you compare the level in the bucket or barrel with what you are
trying to level to? Do you have a line painted around the inside and
outside of the bucket, both at the same height from its bottom, then
raise or lower the bucket (or add or subtract water) to get the water
level at the inside line and then use the outside line to reference your
work to?

Just wondering,

Jeff

--