John Rumm

My first post!!

Welcome to the madhouse ;-)

After extensive research on the web I am close to
tearing my hair out. I was hoping you could advise me. I live in a

snip - tale of freezing woe

Start with the low hanging fruit!

Sounds like the first task is reduceing the amount of heat you are
currently throwing away. That means insulate the loft to a reasonable
standard, and deal with some of the drafts.

So - I have a few options.
1) Install oil heating. Roughly £5k. Not so cheap to run I gather.

That will be your cheapest option in all probability.

2) Install more storage heaters. Going to cost me even more every
month!

Don't fancy that much... Even with te better tarrifs they are never
going to be that controllable.

3) Install heatpump and underfloor heating. Cheapest monthly cost but
God only knows how much to install. Guessing £10k+ if you include
ripping up the floor to install wet system.

Probably not a sensible choice in an existing house - fine if you are
building new.

4) Air conditioner central heating (No idea how much this costs to run)
And a few other systems which I can't find any info' on.

Good deal cheaper than straight electric heating (you can get
approaching 4kW out in exchange for 1kW in), however there are
limitations - some systems can not function when the ouside temperature
falls below zero for example. Hence they are good for spot heating (and
cooling) in things like conservatories etc, but probably not a general
putpose heating system replacement.

What the hell do I do!?!? I want the house to be warm throughout but to
be able to keep it that way for a reasonable cost.

The only way to do that is make it so that it does not lose the heat so
quickly once you have put it in.

--
Cheers,

John.