Stan Shankman

Dave D,

Hey, I did finally read that power-factor FAQ sheet you so nicely pointed me
to, and yes, it did answer all of my questions.

So, thanks for that!

I also had the thought of just using a car (or deep cycle) battery with my
unit but upon further reading, discovered that I might have problems that
way with completely dead battery charging. This is so, presumably, because a
dead battery presents a larger load to the existing charger. So I'm
wondering if anyone can speak about that issue.

I have been checking around on eBay and Craigslist for used UPS units, and
it seems reasonable to expect I might find a good used rig that way.

Also, for your information, I have found a few web sites that do sell
replacement batteries at what appears to be very good prices. - Half (or
better) of what one would expect to pay locally! So if anyone needs a
battery, you should check around on the web. I know I was pleasantly
surprised to find these reasonable prices. (Prices very widely, so keep
checking for the least costly ones.) I have also noticed that enterprising
individuals are buying lots of old UPS units and then replacing the
batteries with these new cheap replacements and then selling the refurbished
units on eBay - again, at what seems like very reasonable prices. - That may
not be a bad way to go.

Thanks for the help,

- Stan Shankman K7SJB

\

"Dave D" wrote in message
news

"Stan Shankman" wrote in message
I still don't understand.

Isn't one VA equal to one watt? A watt is a volt-amp.

How can a unit be both 425 VA and 275 Watt?

No, a VA is not equal to a watt. To understand this you need to understand
the differences between measurements of power for DC and AC. Try reading

my
post and following the link.

Dave