Bill Janssen

Harold and Susan Vordos wrote:

"Bill Janssen" wrote in message

Travers has a 6 inch 4 jaw chuck that I am interested in. My lathe is a

Jet

9X20 with a 1 1/2 inch spindle. The 4 jaw has a 1 1/2 through hole and
I am wondering if there is any chance of interference when I put a back
on it. I assume (I know) that the back will be thick enough to keep
the chuck away from the spindle. Or should I not be concerned.

Bill k7NOM

I'm not sure I understand your concern, Bill. The backing plate for your
chuck will have a hub that contains within it the proper thread for your
spindle. The hole in chucks tends to be larger than the hole in spindles
so you can chuck up larger diameters as deeply as possible in the chuck.
As long as the hole through the chuck is larger than the hole in your
spindle, and the backing plate is large enough to fit that particular chuck,
I can't imagine where you'd run into problems, particularly if you're going
to machine the back plate to fit. If I'm not understanding you correctly,
please ask again, and try to specify your exact concern. Otherwise, I
wouldn't be too worried about buying the chuck----buy it and enjoy.

Harold

Ok Thanks. My lathe spindle is 1 1/2 X 8 and the chuck ( without backing
plate) has a 1 1/2
hole. If the chuck had a larger bore then I would not have been
concerned. I have to get a backing plate
and machine it to fit. All seems well except I was wondering if the 1
1/2 inch bore was sufficient

The 4 jaw that came with the 9X20 is not very satisfactory and I was
looking for something better.

Thanks again.
Bill k7NOM