Roger Taylor

"tom" wrote in message
oups.com...
She's wondering about it's porosity, being used as a backsplash over
the kitchen counters. She can cook. Anyone ever had any experience with
"copper honed" quartzite? Tom

Quartzite by definition is nearly impermeable and almost pure silicon
dioxide, meaning it is extremely tough, durable, and solid, not unlike
granites. Nevertheless, things sold as quartzite may have a small amount of
porosity. You could get a broken chip or sample square at the supplier, then
apply hot cooking oil or vinegar, and see if there is any residual stain,
after leaving it on a few days. We chose stainless as a backsplash to our
stovetop, and are very pleased with it. We, too, were worried about staining
and ease of cleaning. The backsplash around the counters, away from the
stove, is less of a problem for cleaning. For that, we used mosaic slate
tile, and used grout and tile sealer to make for easy cleanup. So far, works
great.