John McGaw

udarrell wrote:
Anyone heard of the plastic evaporator drain pans melting?
Some are awful close to the large oil furnace heat exchangers!
Is there a clearance code established yet?

Do you mean the ones under the indoor AC coils in a home HVAC system? I
had some melted on my HVAC by the heat of the gas furnace. The
evaporator stack (the upside down V in the plenum above the furnace) had
melt-through on the lower pans which allowed the condensation to trickle
down through the furnace into the catch pan. Of course the catch pan had
no drain and the cutoff float switch was ineffective so there was more
than a bit of water running before I noticed it. The installers replaced
the evaporator and attached pans at no charge beyond my inconvenience
but they refused to install the "upgrade" evaporator which had pans
which appeared to be thin brass instead of plastic. I've had no repeat
in the several years since.
--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]