MTLnews

I have most of the repair manuals for SONY TVs up to about 2003, however as
another poster mentioned, even if you could isolate the problematic
component, you'd have a hard time getting your hands on a replacement part.
It's not like the older TVs where you could just replace a tube, or
capacitor, and away you go...

However the problem on most of these units was the flyback which would
fail... I've heard of one place ( http://www.fultonradio.com/ ) which I
believe you could order a replacement unit from, but they don't come cheap,
quite often around $100 ... I've never dealt with them, but I've heard of
many people ordering from them in other groups..

If you post the model of the TV, I can check and see if your model is in my
growing collection of PDF documents.. At least if I have the shop
manual, you could maybe do some more testing to confirm if it is the
flyback.

Good Luck..
-Tony

"Norminn" wrote in message
It's a longshot, but I thought I would try. Four year old Sony
Trinitron TV - 27" - has power-on problem. If we shut it off, it is
exceedingly difficult to turn it back on. When we try to turn it back
on, it tries to come on and the little red lights continue to flash
rhythmically. Initially, after a couple of dozen tries, it would
finally come on. The manual refers to such a problem in
troubleshooting, says to call repair tech if shutting off power does not
clear the problem. We have repair scheduled, but just curious about
what it could be and how difficult to repair. Hubby could probably
stand the loss if he can upgrade to a giant flat panel.......... )

The owner's manual refers, I believe, to some sort of battery. Any
DIYers who have repaired TV's with similar problem or know of online
repair manuals?