Don Foreman

On 17 Sep 2005 01:25:43 GMT, (DoN. Nichols)
wrote:
But Fitch's experiments in tuning were for the purpose of making
the lathe work *better*. The time it took to spin the spindle up, or to
reverse it was shortened by the tuning -- especially if the lathe was
set to a high gear or belt setting.

So -- if you need to reverse your lathe quickly -- such as when
tapping with a releasing tap holder -- you will get better behavior
from a tuned converter than from an un-tuned one.

Could be. My lathe has a footbrake that stops it NOW with a stomp
while threading or tapping. My mill also has a spindle brake. I
about never plug-reverse. I know better machinists than I that do.