Robert Allison

kelly wrote:
Hi,
Has anyone here worked with IKEA to do there kitchen renovations?
I just want to know how they work and how are the appliances,
and all (cabinets, counter tops, etc...) I'm thinking of going
to them to do my kitchen reno.

Thanks.

I just got through doing an Ikea kitchen (I am a general
contractor). The clients picked out the cabs and brought them
to the jobsite for installation by me. Here is my opinion;

The cabinets are inexpensive (read that as cheap) and the
instructions border on insanity. I have put together at least
200 kitchens and by far these were the hardest to work with.
Assembly of everything is required, the plans that came with
them didn't indicate much of anything as to where things went,
how to install, etc.

Where I could go and get a set of cabinets from my regular
supplier and install them in less than a day, these took about
3 days to assemble and install, partly due to the strange
method of installation that they use, and the lack of coherent
instructions.

Summation: If you don't have much money, don't really care
much about quality and are willing to spend the time it takes
to put them together, then these are the cabinets for you. I
will not do another set of these.

Be prepared to make several mistakes when installing them. On
the up side, they send about twice as much material as you
need for everything. This is probably so that when you follow
their directions (which have no words at all, just diagrams
with arrows, etc.) you will be able to make several errors and
still have enough material to complete the job.

--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.