John

Default Carpentry Question: Roof over deck (aka porch).

Hi everyone,

I'm about to build a 8x12 porch onto my house. Simply a deck very close to
ground with a roof over it. My question has to do with exactly where to put
the posts that support the front edge of the roof (back goes into existing
roof). The deck frame will sit very close to the ground, 12 to 20 inches,
and be supported by 3 cement footers (sonotubes) and a ledger-board.

My first thought is to run the posts right down to the cement and use
anchors of some sort. Build the deck frame around that. This way, the roof
is independent of the deck, and anchored against upward forces such as wind.
Disadvantage is that I've got to get my footings exactly in the right spot
for the roof posts. Am I capable of getting that perfect I wonder to myself.

I've spent the last few months looking at other porches, porch repairs and
new construction and it looks like the decks are built first, then the posts
come down and sit on the deck framing? This certainly would make any small
placement adjustments with the posts easier, and the deck framing would be
sitting right on the cement below the posts. But, would the posts be
anchored properly this way?

Any advice on this would be appreciated.

-Jeff