Steve

Default Somethings chewing in the walls???

On occasion, when the house is quite, I've heard what sounds like chewing in
the walls and ceiling.
Lots of squirrels around the yard, Also lots of mice. Stupid cat plays with
them!! Tried to tell her to kill the mice and take them outside but she wont
listen. I set a have a hart trap in the attic but I think I have to adjust
the latch to be more sensitive as the bait was taken (an apple with peanut
butter on it) right out of the trap without setting it. I don't know how
squirrels would get in? I see some of the screens in my soffit vents have
been chewed up so I but duct tape over them to see if the squirrels would
chew through the tape to get out. then I would know they were going through
their. 3 soffets are still tapped shut. I just though, I have to look at the
other soffets where the screens were intact. Maybe they didn't like the tape
so the chewed through the screen in another soffet to get out/in.

I'm guessing its squirrels because a mouse couldn't remove the whole apple
like they did. would you be able to hear the chewing of a mouse through the
walls? Again I'm guessing not and it must be a squirrel doing the chewing...
If I used poison to kill them would they rot and cause a smell problem??? Or
better to keep working on trapping them and removing them.

Part of the problem is the difficulty of getting into the main attic. there
is no access other than squeezing between rafters and I've gotten to old and
fat for that.

thanks for any advice...

Sr