FACE

On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 09:26:05 -0400, in alt.home.repair "Steve"
wrote:

My 3 upstairs bedrooms are on one 15 amp circuit. Occasionally when my
daughter uses her hair dryer the breaker will trip (usually only when one
room has the AC running.)
Yesterday we lost power in all three room but the breaker did not trip. even
flipping the breaker did nothing to restore power. I checked and there was
power at the breaker, I went upstairs to what I believe is the first outlet
on the circuit. It had a small fan and a window AC plugged in. When I
unplugged the fan the power came on in all 3 rooms. I suspected a problem
with the fan. I tried the fan in another circuit and it worked fine. Later
that night my wife unplugged the AC from the same outlet and we lost all
power on that circuit. when she plugged the AC back in power was
restored?????

This same scenario with different details has happened twice in 23 years
here.

Both times it was a loose wire of the 12/2 connecting to the side of the
outlet. When one goes they all go. Think of a string of Christmas lights.

Before you check be sure that you turned off the right breaker by testing
the outlet with a known working lamp or other device.

FACE