Art Todesco

Check out Ace Hardware. They usually
have, behind the service counter, a box
of frequently used switches. I was
surprised at the unusual stuff available.

User Example wrote:
Don Klipstein wrote:

In article , Jeff Wisnia wrote:

SQLit wrote:

"User Example" wrote in message
. ..

I have a fluourescent lamp that has a button that I have to hold down
for a few seconds for the light to turn on. The switch is broke.
Anyone know where I could find such a specialty switch? I searched
around but no luck.

It is probably a NO momentary closed switch. Any Radio Shack or
electronics
store would have one. Searched where?

No, it's not that easy. I think Joseph was correct about the switch
type. The OP didn't say it, but likely that lamp has a second
(usually black) button you push to turn it off. The first (usually
red) button closed a toggling switch to apply power to the lamp, but
when held down a second momentary contact closed the filament circuit
just like a "starter" did. After a couple of seconds the filaments
were hot and when you released the button an inductive spike from the
ballast started the flourescent's arc.

Pushing the second button toggled the switch off. Sometimes there was
no second button 'cause the first button had an "alternate on-off"
switch action in addition to the momentary contact.

If the OP really loves that old lamp he could replace the "broke"
switch with a slide or toggle on-off switch plus a NO momentary
closed pushbutton switch. It'd take two separate actions to light the
lamp, but only one to shut it off. That's providing the OP knows what
to look for and can trace out the wiring so he can figure out how to
connect the two switches properly.

That's probably what I'd do if that old lamp held memories for me and
I was going to be the only person using it. :-)

Jeffry Wisnia

I am familiar with this setup. The red pushbutton is a NO type that
you push to get current to flow through the filaments of the
fluorescent bulb, and in the next more modern step of fixture design
is replaced by a starter. The black pushbutton is a NC type, and is
replaced by a more usual on/off switch once the red pushbutton is
replaced by a starter.

If you want to replace pushbuttons with pushbuttons, it's not easy.
You need pushbuttons rated for 125V and at least .35 amp, and also
with some extra ability to handle inductive loads - maybe having a
horsepower rating for motors that draw similar voltage and current -
GOOD LUCK!!!

I think you are better off, should you have any sentimental or
emotional
attachment to this fixture, to hack it into one with a starter and an
on-off switch. This typically requires trashpicking or buying another
fixture that has a starter, which is the easiest way in the USA to get a
starter socket. Then, remove or disconnect the original pushbuttons
and hack in an on-off switch and the starter socket.

Now for wiring diagrams of basic / historic fluorescent fixtures:

This is in Sam Goldwasser's "Repairfaq" documents, and I have an
adequately current one for this purpose on fluorescent lamps at:

http://www.misty.com/~don/f-lamp.html

- Don Klipstein )

Thanks everyone for the ideas. They are all good. I am not sure what I
will do, though. There isn't any spare room in the lamp to add a
starter and it would be hard to even add an extra switch in there. I'll
have to do some ciphering and figure out what I want to do. The link
you provided will be helpful.