Set Square

Hamie wrote:

Set Square wrote:

The alternative system - with a more conventional turned upper newel
post - uses a substantial spigot on the bottom of the upper part
which fits into a hole drilled down the centre of the base. The
spigot has a hole in the middle, and two cuts which divide it into
four quadrants. A tapered dowel tapped into the hole spreads these
quadrants until the whole thing is a tight fit in the base. It is
then all glued together.

Do you tap the dowel into the hole & then have to try & squeeze the
newel post on? Or does the doweling move into the hole as you tap the
newel post down onto the bottom newel?

I've never fitted one of these - I used the Fusion system, which is
different.

But the Burbidge instructions seem to indicate that you tap the dowel in
*before* fitting the spigot into the base - tapping it in bit by bit and
repeatedly trying it for size - and cutting off the excess dowel once the
spigot is the right size.

Although it doesn't tell you to do this, I suppose you could set a short
length of dowel into the bottom centre of the hole - which would push the
tapered dowel in a bit further as the spigot went in. Could be a bit hit or
miss, though!
--
Cheers,
Set Square