Wayne Cook

On Fri, 16 Sep 2005 14:44:36 GMT, RoyJ wrote:

I have a Jeep with off road bumpers and the same mounting problems with
the rear as the OP. The 8 bolts go through holes that are on either side
of where the main frame rail joins up to the rear cross member. Both
frame and cross member are relatively thin at .104" The bolt holes are
1.25" on center vertically, 8" horizontally (spaced evenly on either
side of the main rail joint. This is NOT a solid item to bolt to for
straight pull, really flimsy for the torque loading of the motorbike rack.

Exactly my point.

I used some 1/4"x2" backer plates with radiused ends to match the curve
of the cross member in an attempt to get some of the load transferred
out to the edges of the cross member. That still didn't look good enough
so I ran more 1/4"x2" strap forward on both top and bottom, then drilled
all the way through the frame to bolt the sandwich together with 2 ea 7"
grade 5 bolts per side. Spacing on the through bolts was set to allow
standard tow hooks to be added on either top or bottom.

Perfect fix IMHO.

BTW: bumpers were 2"x5" rectangular tube, tapered ends, sealed to allow
use as air tanks. Rear bumper has intergal (through the tube) 2"
reciever hitch, front has built in winch mount. People have told me they
look like factory or aftermarket parts.

Sounds great to me.

Wayne Cook
Shamrock, TX