Matt Beard

Default Ancient HW Cylinder - replacement

Britannica wrote in message . ..
We have a an old solid fuel heating system (which works well and
cheaply too), but the hot water cylinder has corroded and is now
leaking.

The plumber who came to look at it said we needed a 'specially made'
cylinder for solid fuel heating and was going to order one but he's
been rushed into hospital.

I think I could do this job myself if all I had to do was disconnect
it and reconnect the new cylinder....but I suspect the connections are
old BSP fittings rather than metric which might complicate things a
bit.

Suggestions for a supplier would be helpful, and am I likely to be
able to get a cylinder with suitable threads on the connections ?

TIA

Sometimes when a "professional" says that something needs to be
"specially made" for your system it turns out that they wait a long
time then sell you an off-the-shelf item at an inflated price. I
would be tempted to get another plumber in to quote for replacing the
cylinder - and ask nonchalantly if it is a standard part he will be
using (he will probably say that it is a normal "direct" cylinder as
this is what you almost certainly need).

If the cylinder is off-the shelf and not much needs changing to make
it fit then you are probably looking at no more than about £100 for
parts and a few hours labour. There is a good chance that a couple of
the pipes might need moving a little to make the new cylinder fit, so
if you are not into plumbing it may not be a DIY job - and probably
not the best one to start a hobby with!