Jeff Wisnia

SQLit wrote:

"User Example" wrote in message
. ..

I have a fluourescent lamp that has a button that I have to hold down
for a few seconds for the light to turn on. The switch is broke.
Anyone know where I could find such a specialty switch? I searched
around but no luck.

It is probably a NO momentary closed switch. Any Radio Shack or electronics
store would have one. Searched where?

No, it's not that easy. I think Joseph was correct about the switch
type. The OP didn't say it, but likely that lamp has a second (usually
black) button you push to turn it off. The first (usually red) button
closed a toggling switch to apply power to the lamp, but when held down
a second momentary contact closed the filament circuit just like a
"starter" did. After a couple of seconds the filaments were hot and when
you released the button an inductive spike from the ballast started the
flourescent's arc.

Pushing the second button toggled the switch off. Sometimes there was no
second button 'cause the first button had an "alternate on-off" switch
action in addition to the momentary contact.

If the OP really loves that old lamp he could replace the "broke" switch
with a slide or toggle on-off switch plus a NO momentary closed
pushbutton switch. It'd take two separate actions to light the lamp, but
only one to shut it off. That's providing the OP knows what to look for
and can trace out the wiring so he can figure out how to connect the two
switches properly.

That's probably what I'd do if that old lamp held memories for me and I
was going to be the only person using it. :-)

Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)