Pop

"ameijers" wrote in message
:
: "Larry Caldwell" wrote in message
: k.net...
: In article ,

: (Walter R.) says...
: The facia boards on my (single story) house are rough sawn
2 x 12.
:
: Due to constant sun exposure (Southern California) the
boards have
: developed
: cracks and fissures, some 1/4" wide, 1/2" deep and 5' long.
:
: I have patched the cracks with exterior caulk and repainted
them.
: However,
: due to the different rate of expansion between the caulk
and the wood,
: the
: caulk keeps popping out.
:
: Due to the deep cracks, the boards have developed some
dry-rot, which I
: have
: repaired successfully.
:
: How can I get the caulk to stay in the cracks? Replacing
the boards
: would be
: a major undertaking.
:
: Just cover them with painted metal fascia trim. Any metal
siding
: contractor can bend up the flashing on the job and install it
for you,
: or you can make up a materials list and take it to a metal
roofing and
: siding shop to have the materials fabricated. You can choose
an
: appropriate factory color, or paint it yourself.
:
: Bad idea, IMHO. any water that gets trapped behind will just
rot the wood
: faster. If you skin the fascia, at least do not do a wrap
around the

Actually, that's a pretty good way to go. As long as it's
installed properly (directions for the diyer are easy to find if
needed) it will not rot the wood behind it, or cause rot or trap
water. It's a good way to go and I haven't had to touch mine in
over 20 years. This summer I insulated a back porch and when I
removed the soffit and facia, the wood was as pristine as the day
it was last painted. And still tightly nailed in place.

PopS