ameijers

"Larry Caldwell" wrote in message
k.net...
In article ,
(Walter R.) says...
The facia boards on my (single story) house are rough sawn 2 x 12.

Due to constant sun exposure (Southern California) the boards have

developed
cracks and fissures, some 1/4" wide, 1/2" deep and 5' long.

I have patched the cracks with exterior caulk and repainted them.

However,
due to the different rate of expansion between the caulk and the wood,

the
caulk keeps popping out.

Due to the deep cracks, the boards have developed some dry-rot, which I

have
repaired successfully.

How can I get the caulk to stay in the cracks? Replacing the boards

would be
a major undertaking.

Just cover them with painted metal fascia trim. Any metal siding
contractor can bend up the flashing on the job and install it for you,
or you can make up a materials list and take it to a metal roofing and
siding shop to have the materials fabricated. You can choose an
appropriate factory color, or paint it yourself.

Bad idea, IMHO. any water that gets trapped behind will just rot the wood
faster. If you skin the fascia, at least do not do a wrap around the
backside unless you put in lots of weepholes. The idiot that did my house
(long before I bought it) did a no-weep install, and it led to water
tracking back along the soffit, and back into the wall. The guy that changed
out the rotted window fine-tuned the fascia skin with vise-grips so some of
the water would drain, but I can still stick my finger in the drain hole and
come back with rotted wood on it. Dreading replacing the roof next year-once
they open it up, I'm sure to have lots of expensive wood replacement needed.

aem sends...