Ross Mac

wrote in message
oups.com...

Ross Mac wrote:
"Zen Cohen" wrote in message
I have an old one-car garage (about 20'x10') that I use only for
storage.
The concrete floor (no rebar, prolly built around WWII) is badly cracked
and buckled in the center with that area maybe 3 inches higher than the
rest of the floor, and there a gaps of up to several inches in the
middle
between the cracks. I want to do something to make the floor smoother
and
more usable but am not willing to spend the $3000-plus to redo the
foundation. Somebody suggested pouring asphalt onver the concrete. Is
this
workable? Any other suggestions for improving the surface that aren't so
expensive? Thanks.

They did that on a couple of bridges near my old house. It appears that
asphalt does not adhere very well to concrete because they scraped it off
after a number of years since it continually peeled off and caused the
bridge to shake and vibrate the windows in nearby homes....my 2
cents....I
wouldn't do it....good luck....Ross

uh, ever notice how they rough up the concrete before paving a road?
Maybe the contractors near your old house were just a bunch of
incompetents?

UHHH.....can you spell "expansion joints"????
The asphalt breaks away at the expansion joints and slowly leaves a sloppy
mess. You will find yourself repairing this on a regular basis...especially
if you have heavy vehicles....