SQLit

"Sasha" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have 3/4 HP In-Sink-Erator garbage disposer. A friend of mine told us
that we shouldn't put egg shells and corn seals into the disposer. Why
that? what else (food garbage) we cannot put into it?

ASSUMING your not a troll

Garbage disposals chop the stuff up. Removing the material is a function of
the volume/pressure of the water and the size of the drain. I have seen 5 hp
commercial units with 4 inch drains that I am pretty sure would grind
anything that would go through the opening. Home units generally do not have
the drain slope nor the volume of water that commercial units do.

Fibrous plants, celery, and lettuce are good bets to keep out of the
disposal. My ex wife had the ability of clogging the one we had every week.
I finally had enough and took it out. Took another 3 weeks for her to
figure that one out. Ahhh 3 weeks of plumbing bliss.

I have not lead a sheltered life, I have never heard of a corn seal. A corn
husk would be a definite no for most home garbage disposals.

I have a plumber friend that loves garbage disposals and the service calls
they generate. He does not have one in his home