Thanks. The problems are now obvious.

They don't use or sell much oil-based where I live. If they
do, they call it "Alkyd" which I thought was water-based.
I also didn't search for alkyd.

After I got a quart of Sherwin-Williams "SuperPaint" latex
wall paint, I asked the price of a quart of oil-based semi-gloss.
When he said "We only have latex," he may have meant
in the SuperPaint line. The Classic 99 paints show "oil"
as an option. You have to search the site for "oil".

You need to search for "paint OR enamel". It seems some
companies no longer want to sell "paint". Three boos for
marketing.

When you included the word "price" in your search, you exclude
Sherwin Williams products because the company site does
not list prices, and the dealers don't have websites.

I wasted time stopping by paint departments in mega-stores,
lumber companies, and hardware stores.

It all goes to show that we still need our trusty newgroups.