Eric

GHZpc wrote:

I accidently broke Pin #1 on my Maxtor hard drive. Unfortunately, I had
very important data that was not backed up. Yes, I have already learned
my lesson.

The pin broke off so deep that there is almost no metal visible to make
contact with. I tried a safety pin and attempted to use my average
soldering skills to solder a new pin in place. I have still had no luck
up to this pont.

I think my best bet (besides buying a new hard drive), would be to remove
the daughterboard on the outside of the hard drive and then have more
access to where pin #1 is located. Does this sound like a safe thing to
do? I would have to be aware of any small thin cables sticking out of the
hard drive so that they do not get broke too.

If you have any other suggestions, they would be greatly greatly greatly
appreciated. And please, please tell me that there is still hope. After
all, it's only one pin. I refuse to believe that an entire hard drive can
be useless just because one pin broke.

Thanks for your replies.

Pin 1 is reset, have you tried ignoring it? (just plug it in and try the
drive) Reset will happen at power on anyway so as long as another reset
isnt required (and it may not be) you might be able to use it "as-is"
Try it, shouldnt hurt anything.
2nd option is to find the trace on the circuit board corresponding to
pin one and solder a small wire to it, connect other end to wire in cable or
just plug it in to other connector on cable, pin one is common to both
connectors.
Eric