Anthony Berlin

Firstly, not one of the steps you just advised the OP to take, in order to
determine delivery pressure were correct...not even remotely. Secondly, if
you were giving the OP legitimate advice and you believe what you replied
with you are a ****ing idiot, if not then you are dangerous as well.
Yargnits, I would strongly urge you to disregard everything this ****tard
just responded to your post with. Incidentally Cawthon when was the last
time that checking air in your tires, posed a potential explosion or fire
hazard to your home and family? Stupid mother****er.

Yargnits, call HVAC and/or Plumbing providers find out what a service call
costs. The pressure can be verified and adjusted if it is necessary at the
gas valve probably included in the service call price ( at least it would be
in ours). The delivery pressure is different for LP than it is for Natural.
If it is LP and has been operating correctly up to this point I would
suspect the regulator, at any rate dicking with gas and gas controls should
be left to professional service people.

"George E. Cawthon" wrote in message
You could call a plumber, but how much would that
cost? and what could he tell you, pressure is
low, pressure is right, pressure is too high?
Anyone with the ability to connect two pipes
together could go to a store and buy a gage plus
necessary stuff to hook it up, go home, turn off
the gas to the water heater, disconnect the water
heater, connect the gage, turn the valve on, read
the pressure. A lot cheaper and a lot faster than
calling a plumber. This isn't high tech, it is
barely one step above checking the pressure of
your tires.

Heck, a little reading and some mechanical ability
you can forgo buying a gage and make one in 5 minutes.

HeatMan wrote:
If your water heater is that old, it's about time it's buried.

IMO, I'd call a plumber or HVAC guy to check the pressure.

"Yargnits" wrote in message
oups.com...

I posted a few days ago about my high gas bills and I still haven't had
any luck tracking the cause. Since my main suspect is the water heater
I contacted AO Smith and asked them how old the water heater was. They
said it was made in 1973 so it's the original one installed in my
house. I also sent them some pics of the water heater and the flame
and they said that the flame looks too big and colorful. They suspect
the gas pressure to be too high and that I should have the gas company
come check it.

It will like pulling teeth to get them to come out so I'd like an
opinion from the knowledgeable people here. Should I just replace the
30 year old water heater or pursue the pressure? It's got a glass tank
so it will probably live for quite a while yet and if it is the
pressure the new water heater will have the same problem. That is
unless they're putting regulators in them now.