David Martel wrote:

Here's some info on a story from several years ago
http://www.electricnews.net/news.html?code=9362073 It seems such devices are
possible, the question is whether anyone makes or sells them. Your friend
should poke around on Google or write the folks in Dublin.

Thanks! I should have pointed out that the section of the great
US-of-A where my friend wants to purchase this investment property is
blue collar, angry blue collar, and that while a magistrate in a more
progressive part of the country might not think twice about siding with
a landlord who evicted due to breach of a no-smoking clause, the
magistrate in this particular municipality would be bucking
socioeconomics...and then some.