Chris Bacon

Bob Mannix wrote:
I am 100% certain the meaning of competenet person will, eventually, be
decided in court

The meaning is that the person is competent. If they do a bad
job, they were not competent. That's all there is to it! That
is *why* the term is not spelt out in black and white, so that
the accused can't just say "Well I passed all the tests, so
it was not my fault".

I am 90% certain the reason for the court hearing will be because of
incompetency (biassing the judge against DIY)

It makes no difference. Why did the job blow up? If it's because
of an installation fault, it is because the installer was not
competent. If it's because of something else (someone drilled
into the gas pipe) then it's nothing to do with whether the
installer was competent.

I am 70% certain the judge (taking the above and the intent of the law into
account) will come down against DIY and pro CORGI, making competency almost
impossible to demonstrate outside CORGI.

The *only* reason that something should "go to court" is because
the installer was perhaps not competent. The standard of work
decides that.