N Cook

"mike" wrote in message
N Cook wrote:
By excavating pits and freezing the pipe I localised down to a 20 foot

run
and then a 10 foot run. I've now dug 2 more pits so about 3 foot
apart in that 10 foot. 3 gallons of water an hour is just disappearing
with no trace emerging along pipe or into holes.

I'd like to hear more about the freezing technique for locating leaks.
HOw do you get water ice to freeze the pipe, especially when there's at
least 3 gal/hr moving thru it??

Ultrasonic leak detectors work well on gas leaks. Expect you'd have the
same "anywhere" problem on pipe tho. Just too much sound conductivity.
mike

While I wait for more water to freeze in the freezer to
localise a bit more, anyone any ideas for electronically/
audibly trying to localise the leak. A listening stick made from a steel
rod and a wooden drawer knob certainly works against anywhere
on the pipe (thats the problem ,anywhere ,
and much same level) but nothing through the soil

--
Diverse Devices, Southampton, England

.
Wanted 12" LCD for Compaq Armada 7770MT.
MAKE THE OBVIOUS CHANGES TO THE LINK
htremovethistp://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Monitor/4710/

From crushed ice from freezer and cooking salt
about 500 g to 0.5 Lt made up freezing solution and placed in plastic
trough.
Monitoring with thermometer the pipe froze up in about
30 to 45 minutes at about -15 degree C.