User Example

Red CloudŽ wrote:
On Fri, 09 Sep 2005 00:03:58 GMT, User Example wrote:

Red CloudŽ wrote:

On 8 Sep 2005 16:30:32 -0700, "Cubby" wrote:

Hiya folks,
I've got a water supply line that has a leaky valve on it. I intend to
replace it this weekend. This is for a cabin so the valve gets used a
fair amount as we drain the lines when not there, re-charge when there,
etc... Anyway, currently I've got gate valves on it but was
wondering if I should consider ball valves instead? Is there an
advantage of one over the other?
Cheers,
cc

For situations where a valve will always be either all the way open or all the
way closed, a ball valve is superior. In a gate valve, the water is always in
contact with the gate and closing mechanism, and will eventually corrode it.
It's also nice that you can see at a glance if a ball valve is open or closed.

Gate valves are better when fine control and adjustment are needed.

rusty redcloud

Not true. Gate valves are meant to be fully open or closed just like a
ball joint. When a gate valve is open, the disc should be completely
out of the flow path. Gate valves are not meant for flow control. To
control flow, a globe valve is used. And if that isn't fine enough, a
needle valve is used.

Ball joint?

Bwhahahahahaha!

rusty redcloud
ps. They even use gate valves to control flow on Hoover Dam, as well as valves
that control water flow in boilers, and even your own bathtub, nitwit.

When I worked in the nuclear power plants a gate valve was NEVER used in
a circumstance where flow control was desired. And those plants have
1000s of valves in them and I knew them all. (Part of the qualification
process was to be able to draw every piping system from memory,
including the valves.)