PipeDown

"smithfarms pure kona" wrote in message
On Thu, 08 Sep 2005 13:47:05 -0400, Edward Grant
wrote:

I stopped at Home Depot yesterday and asked about a tankless water
heater. The salesman told me that they don't carry them because they
are undependable and the parts are very expensive. That was the

first
time I had heard that. How about anyone else?

We have had a Paloma tank less water heaters for over 17 years. It
runs on propane. We had to replace one that was over 20 years old and
the current one is abut 8 years old and working beautifully. They are
expensive BUT they work perfectly. We have as much hot water as we
want. We do tend to run only one hot water thing at a time but in a
family of two, we have no more need than that.

We are not handy people and once we got it installed and connected to
our pump we have had no trouble. We do live in the sub tropics so we
do not have temperatures below 45 degrees.

Saying they don't work well is not my opinion and is just plain silly.
We do not keep hot water sitting around for no reason. All our water
runs through the Paloma and gets hot ...as we need it.

aloha,
Thunder

smithfarms.com
Farmers of 100% Kona Coffee
& other Great Stuff

You actually took the advice of a HD employee to heart. I guess some are
allright, just never ask another customer, that always leads me astray.

Some HD stores (like the HD Contractors Supply kind) stock some small
capacity tankless heaters but these are not for a whole house but good for a
small shop or similar. (perfect for an outhouse)

Like any other heating/cooling device if it is properly sized for the usage
and you buy a reputable brand you should be OK. I think (my opinion here)
that some people buy undersized units (they are cheap or do not want to
upgrade gas or electrical lines) or underestimate their capacity
requirements then complain about the quality of the unit when it can't keep
up to demand.

In my case, it would require replacement of my 1/2" gas line with a 3/4"
pipe all the way back to the meter. Not the extra expense I am prepared to
pay

Unless you really need the space, you could buy 3-4 tank units before you
pay for a tankless WH.