Fred

"TURTLE" wrote in message

wrote in message
oups.com...

We have a home in the sf bay area, california.

Need recommendations of good home warranty companies.

I have heard of scams and horror stories. Some have said that it is
not worth the money.

Any suggestions, pointers, happy stories, sad stories .
What to ask ? look for ?

pls let me know.

Thanks

Ava

This is Turtle.

I would never give these Money Sharks a dime for every dime you give them
is a lost dime. These House appliance insurance companys are after one
thing and it is not to fix your equipment. i have did jobs for them in the
past and everything that was used on the job was the cheapest material
know to man. i did a job one time for AHS and there was a bad compressor ,
badly leaking condenser coil, and few small parts that was bad. It was
$1,100.00 for just a repair and $1,170.00 for a new condenser unit. AHS
agreed to just fix it and not pay the $70.00 more to replace a new unit.
the customer elected to pay the difference of the $70.00 and I get paid up
front $1,170.00 and changed out to a new unit. I did the job and was paid
by the customer. About 6 month later i got a letter from a Attorney asking
about the bill and the customer was sueing AHS for the money they did not
pay that they agreed to pay. I have seen a lot of these money Grabbers
with the jobs they do and i have rarely ever find a happy camper after
they have to use the policy.

Start putting the premium amounts in the bank and you will probley be
ahead in the long run.

TURTLE

I must agree having experience with a few of those companies, all came with
the warranties when the houses were purchased. We had a bad toilet and the
repair guy adjusted it but wouldn't fix it or replace any parts plus I had
to pay a minimum service charge every time they came over. I finally replace
the toilet myself at my own expense - that was many years ago and was the
start of my DIY projects. The last house we purchased had a bad burner on a
smooth cook top. You know those things are expensive to repair and most of
the time you might as well replace it with a new one. The company that
warranted the home said its too expensive to fix or replace but agree to
replace it with a cheaper non smooth cook top. I got as much money out of
them for a non smooth cook top and install it myself. Got some $$ back but
not all of it. The home warranty is a good selling point if your property is
on the market, otherwise its not worth it.