Ignore this poster. It's a troll.

Van Chocstraw wrote:
Sam Goldwasser wrote:
"Dave D" writes:
There are some *lethal* areas inside a monitor, especially the mains side
reservoir capacitor, and some *painful* areas, like the CRT anode and focus
supplies, which may result in severe involuntary muscle contractions causing
serious injury or further electroction.

If you are competent to go inside with the power on-

Arm yourself with a can of freeze spray and a hair dryer/heat gun with a
small nozzle. From cold, power up the monitor and see if carefully heating
any section of the circuitry narrows the fault down. When it shuts down, try
cooling each component in the area and try powering back on until you find a
thermally defective semiconductor or capacitor.

Failing that, personally I wouldn't recommend spending money on repairing a
7 year old 17" monitor, it just isn't worth it IMO.

I'm using exactly that monitor now. It's a great monitor.

Given your symptoms, I'd first suspect a bad connection in the AC input or
power supplies, or just a loose power cord. In my experience, these are
very reliable monitors. The only problem I've seen among three of them was
a dried up capacitor in the vertical output which resulted in only half a
picture.

Do follow the safety advice though!!!

Thanks for both of your replies.

I have a healthy respect for high voltage and current. I adhere to the
hands-in-the-pockets rule until I'm sure all dangerous charges have been
neutralized. I have one of those big-resistor-welded-to-a-screwdriver
thingies that's been in my toolbox for ages.

I'll try another power cord first. The one in there isn't loose but it
couldn't hurt to try another one. I'll proceed from there. I would
just hate to throw it out. I'll poke around a bit (carefully) for a
while. It'll be a distraction from the mind-numbing array of choices
I'm wrestling with as far as a replacement goes. I'll let you know how
I make out. Thanks again.

VCS