Harold and Susan Vordos

"William" wrote in message
snip-----

I have a 480 volt service to my shop and house. The main down side like
mentioned above is the transformer to supply the lower voltage power. The
problem with the transformer is it's cost of operation!! They suck lots

of
power just sitting there running! Having said that though, I would still
run the same system for my shop if I was going to reinstall it today.

William...

I've given the idling transformer some thought, but I'm in the opposite
position. I have only one machine that will run on 480 volts (can't be run
lower), so my 3 phase delta 240 volt system is perfect for my application.
The 480 volt transformer for the one machine will be kept turned off unless
the machine is in service. That way I'm not heating the shop
unnecessarily.

I avoided the lost spaces in my 3 phase panel by installing a single phase
and a three phase panel. the shop is large, so it justified both panels.
Only the 3 phase is on a demand meter, so I minimize my chances of paying
high prices for power. On the other hand, I do have two power bills, but
that was inevitable if I wanted three phase service. Policy at our Public
Utility District is that 3 phase service is considered industrial------not
residential-----so you have to have different metering. 3 phase is always
on a demand meter here.

No way was I going to install a wye system.

Harold