William

Paul Batozech wrote:
Jess wrote:

On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 15:51:38 -0500, Jess
wrote:

Hi all,

I would like some help / advice in outfitting my shop.

My question is, which voltage should I specify - and why?

Update:

Thanks for all the help so far.
OK, the 440v is out. Any future 400+v requirements will be avoided
or met with my own transformer and new top notch gear downstream.

Delta vs Wye?, 208 vs 240 ?
It seems like there are some definite compromises there.
In particular - whether or not you have 110v single and 240v single
available, and whether you have three well balanced legs? (if I
understand correctly).

Any other additions to the delta / wye 208 /240 debate would be
greatly appreciated.

Thanks again for all the help.
Jess

Here's my opinion, for what it's worth, applied to a non-commercial
shop in the U.S. The problem with 480V is not so much a safety issue
(and the real danger is the available fault current more than the
voltage) as one of economics. 480 volt wiring methods are the same
as with lower voltages, but the power panels and breakers tend to be
more costly and you'll need to provide for 120/240 single phase loads
with a separate panel and transformer on a branch circuit. Unless
you have several motors in the greater than 10 to 15 hp range rule
480V services out from the start.

I have a 480 volt service to my shop and house. The main down side like
mentioned above is the transformer to supply the lower voltage power. The
problem with the transformer is it's cost of operation!! They suck lots of
power just sitting there running! Having said that though, I would still
run the same system for my shop if I was going to reinstall it today.

William...