Wayne Boatwright

On Wed 07 Sep 2005 10:26:35p, Bennett Price wrote in alt.home.repair:

I;m not sure about this but I think this technique was used to get
fairly regular sized (rectangular) chunks of granite while what you want
to do is just break it up. I'd rent a jack hammer for a few hours.

Not only that, but it will not work on concrete. Granite has a grain which
cleaves along the grain when separated with the feathers. Concrete has no
grain.

MF wrote:
Not a marital aid, and not explicitly home repair, I'm looking for a
quarry workers tool.
I need to break up a large irregular chunk of concrete (maybe 4x5x2
ft) and
I saw a technique on TOH some years ago for splitting granite - called
(I think) plug and feather.

It involves a line of holes drilled, and a series of devices hammered
into each, simultaneously. the devices, a pair of L shaped 'feathers'
surrounding a tapered steel 'plug'

Anyone ever heard of a source for these devices?

The concrete is probably very hard, having cured at the water's edge,
semi-submerged.

Any source - or better idea - would be MOST appreciated.

Many TIA.

MF

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four,
unless there are three other people.