Chuck Sherwood

120/208 wye service is not really appropriate for a shop either, this

My father was an electrician and I use to help him when I was a kid.
At that time I thought 208 was the best because you could easily
get 120 for lights and run real motors on three phase. Now I am
not very fond of 208.

You should check your machines to see if the motors will actually
run on 208. I suspect that many (or most) of than will not.

In my home shop I run all my 3 phase motors with VFDs. I hate 208
volt motors because they do not work well with a VFD and tend
to over heat because they are getting 240V instead of 208V.

I have experimented with VFD parameters and managed to program
a Teco drive to put out 208 instead of 240. My 1/2HP surface
grinder works ok this way, but the 1HP motor on my rockwell lathe
didn't like it much so I had to buy a new motor.

chuck