Grant Erwin

Greg Postma wrote:

What would be a good lube when I reassemble the chuck?

Here's a post I archived some time ago:

"My choice (for lubricating lathe chucks) is Dow Corning G-N Metal Assembly
Paste. It is a light bodied grease loaded with moly, graphite and other solid
lubes. A very thin film on the scroll and other friction surfaces makes for a
very smooth action that lasts a long time. All chucks eventually have to be
taken apart to remove chips, but the thin lube film causes minimal build up."

Sometime I'll get some of that stuff, for now I've just been using lithium grease.

GWE