Rich

"Steve Manes" wrote in message
I'm installing a new wood garage door in a small, low-ceiled garage
and want to install an automatic opener.

A garage door installer came by for an estimate yesterday and told me
that I didn't have enough ceiling height for my existing door and that
the opening would have to be shortened to six feet to accomodate an
opener. I'm six feet tall and with a door sitting even lower than me
I can see some serious skull cracks from that.

The installer said he needed a minimum of 6" overhead clearance
between the rails and the ceiling. No exceptions. I googled around a
bit and found a zero-clearance opener, albeit a bit pricey:

http://www.aaaremotes.com/miaugadoop601.html

Currently I have about 3" of overhead clearance.

Does anyone know of any other low-clearance openers or any experience
with the Miracle(tm) opener above?

Thanks.

Steve Manes
Brooklyn, NY
http://www.magpie.com/house

The miracle operator isn't that good, especially if you have extension
springs. The thing opens and closes the door from one side of door nnd if
your door is not working perfectly the thing will not function correctly.
This opener is prone to many trouble calls once it starts "slipping" in the
track..

Read and heed:

"The Miracle opener was designed with the installer in mind."

But in the long run the home owner is going to get the headaches (and the
bills).

How much room do you have from the floor to the ceiling? Do you have
extension or torsion springs?