Wayne Boatwright

Default Freezer Question

We have a 16 cu.ft. Frigidaire frost-free upright freezer that was
purchased about 4 years ago.

From the first day we plugged it in, the temperature has ranged from 0°F to
+5°F. The salesman recommended setting the control to it coldest setting,
and it has always been set there.

In the past several months, the temperature has been creeping up to around
30°F, and we quit keeping items in it that required being frozen solid.

Last weekend when I opened the freezer to remove a few things, the
temperature had risen to around 45°F. Most of the contents were at least
partially frozen, so we transferred as much as we could to our refrigerator
freezer. During this time the freezer door remained fully open. When we
were finished, I spent a few minutes wiping down the interior and the
inside of the door as the surfaces were all moist. Finally, we closed the
door and our thoughts turned to replacing the freezer.

A few hours later I thought of something I had left in the freezer and went
to retrieve it. Much to my surprise, the temperature had dropped to -10°
F., where it has remained ever since. It had never reached this
temperature before.

Note that the freezer has never been without power, nor has it ever been
turned off. The temperature setting has remained at maximum.

I simply can't figure this out and I wonder if anyone here might have an
explanation. Any ideas?

TIA

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four,
unless there are three other people.