keith

On Tue, 06 Sep 2005 20:23:31 +0000, Jeff G wrote:

"chester" wrote in message ...
I am about to buy this cordliss drill, but was wondering if anyone has
any experience/opinions on how much of a difference there is between the
15.6V and an 18V (panasonic has an 18V for ~$40 more, but I like the
idea of lighter/smaller). I know the 15.6 volt will serve most of my
needs, but occasionally I want to drill though studs (for running wires,
e.g.) or 3/4" plywood, treated lumber, etc., and have found my old Ryobi
12V inadequte for such tasks (well, the batteries are pretty old in that
one). Will the 15.6V have the torque to accomplish such tasks, in
anyone's experience?

For drills, volts don't matter. Amps do. 5A or more should
be enough for studs, treated lumber or any other home job.

How do you think you get amps? Power (V*A) is really the metric of
interest (power = torque*RPM) . There will be less loss in a
higher-voltage drill, given the same power. Higher voltage = more power,
but heavier.

--
Keith